Speak with a licensed provider online to learn if fluoxetine is right for you and have your prescription delivered to your door. Start your first month for only $30.
Cerebral offers medication management and counseling for only $30 for your first month. If prescribed, fluoxetine will be delivered to your door in discreet packaging. What do you get for $30 for your first month?
- Virtual video or phone calls with your prescriber
- Unlimited online messaging with your care team
- Medication shipped straight to your door
Understanding the different treatments available for anxiety and depression can be overwhelming. With Cerebral, you can speak to a licensed prescribing provider online to see whether fluoxetine (Prozac) is right for you. If your prescribing provider decides that fluoxetine is right for you, you can get your medication delivered straight to your door. If you're curious about getting antidepressants online, you can learn more today.
What is fluoxetine (Prozac)?
It is FDA off-label approved to treat other anxiety disorders, which means the drug can be legally prescribed for other conditions, and not just the ones it has been officially approved for. It is up to the doctor's discretion to decide on the best course of treatment, and it is frequently used to treat anxiety.
What is fluoxetine used for?
Fluoxetine is widely prescribed to help individuals manage their anxiety disorder symptoms and is considered a first-line treatment. While no drug can cure anxiety, they do help regulate symptoms so that individuals may feel and function better day-to-day.
Prozac and SSRIs in general have become a drug of choice for anxiety because they have lighter side effects and greater ease of use than previous drugs and antidepressants used to treat anxiety.
To take fluoxetine, an individual must first receive a diagnosis of a mental health disorder. A family doctor may write a prescription, but it is best to consult a mental health professional, like a psychiatrist, who can also prescribe medication.
Why do people take fluoxetine versus other drugs for anxiety?
Many types of medication are available for anxiety, so why fluoxetine? You and your medical provider may need to try a few medications to find the best fit for your case. Here are some of the other options available:
- Benzodiazepines - Typically used for short-term treatment, since it's a habit-forming drug and best to avoid taking unless prescribed by your doctor.
- Buspirone - Similar to SSRIs, it takes Buspirone a few weeks to become fully effective, though it is not fully understood how the medication works. It can cause dizziness, headaches, and nausea.
- Tricyclics - An older drug that works as well as SSRIs for treating most anxiety disorders, except obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Used less often because newer drugs see fewer side effects.
- MAOIs - Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) treat panic disorder and social phobia more than anxiety. MOAIs are older drugs that may cause more side effects and come with dietary restrictions.
- Beta-blockers - More commonly used to treat heart conditions and the physical symptoms of social anxiety. May be prescribed for stressful social situations like giving a speech.
- Ultimately, your doctor may prescribe fluoxetine since it has fewer side effects than older drugs like Tricyclics and MOAIs and provides a safe, long-term treatment rather than short-term patch treatments like benzos and beta-blockers.
How does taking fluoxetine work?
When first starting with fluoxetine, a medical professional typically prescribes a lower dose then increases the dosage over time. The medication may come in the form of liquid or capsule and is taken around the same time every day, with or without food. Please use the drug exactly as your doctor prescribes.
What does it feel like when fluoxetine starts working?
fluoxetine may need a few weeks to take full effect, so if you do not notice any changes in the first few weeks, remember this is normal and continue taking the drug. You may see an improvement in your anxiety within the first two weeks, but it could take up to six weeks for full effect. It is important not to stop abruptly, as it may cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms and potentially be dangerous.
What are the side effects?
Common side effects include:
- Sleep problems
- Loss of appetite
- Sexual problems
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
Severe and rare side effects include:
- Rashes / hives
- Bleeding or bruising
- Feeling confused
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Suicidal thoughts or behavior
Withdrawal symptoms include:
- Crying spells
Please consult a medical professional if you are noticing severe side effects or withdrawal symptoms.
What are potential drug interactions?
When taking fluoxetine, do not take it at the same time as alcohol and certain over-the-counter and prescriptions. Avoid aspirin for the risk of bleeding and avoid nutritional herbs or supplements like St. John's Wort.
fluoxetine should also not be combined with tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). Take caution if you are taking drugs that affect the central nervous system, like benzodiazepines.
Will I gain weight on fluoxetine?
While antidepressants are typically known to cause weight gain, fluoxetine is among those that rarely does. However, everyone’s body reacts differently and some people do report weight gain after extended use.
What’s most important to remember is that there are other fixes for weight gain, but your physical and mental health should be a priority. Talk with your doctor or provider about how possible weight gain on Wellbutrin could be managed through healthy diet and exercise.
Can I get fluoxetine prescribed online?
You can get fluoxetine prescribed online easily with Cerebral after an evaluation! We offer a virtual consultation with a licensed prescribing provider who can help you figure out if fluoxetine is right for you and deliver it to your door.
We pair medication management, which includes checking in to see how your dose is and how you’re feeling, with behavioral therapy or care counseling. This combination has proven to be the most effective for mental health treatment.
If you’re ready to get help and think fluoxetine might be right for you, click here to start a free assessment today!
Please always consult your healthcare provider in regards to your specific case.